MPM8 Penrhyn Quarry Railway Fullersite Dropside Wagons
Scale = 4mm to the foot (1:76.2)
Gauge = 9mm (009)
The Penrhyn Railway (1879-1962) carried quarry output from Bethesda to Porth Penrhyn. After the First world war a by-product of slate quarrying was developed in finely graded slate powder, given the trade name 'Fu1lersite', this was used as a filler for such things as road asphalt mixed with bitumen. The bagged product was conveyed from the quarry in a fleet of 4 wheeled wagons designed specifically. A total of approximately 90 wagons of 2 types were built in small batches of 20 or so at a time - lift out sides, with heavy timber stanchions and dropside. Our kit is of a wagon in the last batch, no. 85, with iron floor and ends and 2 plank dropsides_ A similar wagon may be viewed at Penrhyn Castle`Museum.
We are always looking for photographs of our kits built by you - please email to us and we may feature them on this website!